The Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence was created in 2003 with the financial support of the European Commission under its Jean Monnet Action and co-funded by the University of Manchester.
At the end of a three-year funding period its focus was broadened away from its initial concern with the European Union to European Studies more generally. At the same time the JMCE became more broadly based with partners from the University of Manchester and Manchester Metropolitan University. More recently, in 2019, the University of Chester, also joined the JMCE as a partner.
The JMCE aims to provide a portal website for European Studies-related activities and research in Greater Manchester and the North West of England. The Centre aims to develop a platform to strengthen the intellectual community in European Studies, while also facilitating local, regional and international links with practitioners, researchers, students and others interested in European affairs.
We are committed to organising more public events and liaising with end-users of research such as Manchester City Council, NGOs and the Manchester Chamber of Commerce.
The Manchester Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence showcases European expertise across the three main Universities of the city. Its principal stakeholders are:
The University of Manchester
- School of Arts, Languages and Cultures
- School of Social Sciences
- School of Law
- Manchester Business School
Manchester Metropolitan University
The University of Chester
The Director of the JMCE:
- Prof Dimitris Papadimitriou, Professor of Politics; Director of Social Responsibility (UoM)
The Vice Director of the JMCE:
- Dr Paul Tobin, Programme Director of MA European Politics and Policy; Convenor of the Comparative Public Policy and Institutions research cluster; Lecturer in Politics (UoM)
Members of the JMCE Steering Committee:
- Dr Rosa Maria Fernandez (Deputy Head of Department & Senior Lecturer of Social & Political Science; Programme Leader of Economics, University of Chester)
- Dr Kathryn Simpson (Senior Lecturer in History, Politics & Philosophy; Director of Communications of the Future Economies Research Centre, MMU
- Dr Jenny Rodriguez (Employment Studies, MBS)
- Dr Dimitrios Doukas (Law, UoM)
- Dr Tilman Frasch (History, MMU)
- Prof. Matthew Jefferies (SALC, UoM)
- Olga Khrushcheva (DHPP, MMU)
- Dr Gabriel Siles-Brugge (SoSS, UoM)
- Russell Yates (Centre for Enterprise, MMU)
Research Student Representatives:
- Louise Wylie (SoSS, UoM)
- Konstantinos Achilles Kanellopoulos (SoSS, UoM)